On Saturday 21st May 2016 eight NASUWT members came together in Belfast HQ to participate in a Teacher Training Assessment Centre. Prior to the event all members involved received an initial outline of the course, but apart from that they were thrown in at the deep end.
The event was promoted to current teachers/members in which 2 members flew over from the mainland UK to attend. This shows the extent to which the popularity of the programme has grown. Below were the objectives of the session:
• Setting the scene – fictional school and post linked to current context
• Completion and realisation of a self-SWOT analysis in regards to selected posts
• Matching current criteria to own self-SWOT analysis
• Practicing completion of a good practice application from (based on a fictional school)
• Introduction to neuro-linguistic-programming and the benefits associated
• Exploring how to win and influence the panel
• Training on preparing a CV and its best uses
• Working on context based interview questions (peer groupings)
• Completion of a mock interview on the same day
• Participation in a stress management questionnaire
• Engaging in next steps action planning
Post the event each candidate received their own individual feedback based on their SWOT analysis, application form, CV and mock interview.